Mechanical engineering is one of the oldest and broadest engineering disciplines that applies the principles of engineering, physics and materials science, Mathematics for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It is the branch of engineering that involves the production and usage of heat and mechanical power for the design, production, and operation /Maintenance of machines and tools required for process/chemical industries, refineries and petrochemicals, fertilizers, air separation plants and cryogenics, power plants and infrastructure projects. This engineering field requires an understanding of core concepts including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, materials science, structural analysis, and electricity.
Mechanical engineers use these core principles along with tools like computer-aided engineering, and product lifecycle management to design and analyze manufacturing plants, industrial equipment and machinery, heating and cooling systems, transport systems, aircraft, marines, robotics, medical devices, weapons, and others.
Mechanical engineering field has continually evolved to incorporate advancements in technology, and mechanical engineers today are pursuing research /developments in such fields as composites, mechatronics, and nanotechnology. Mechanical engineering is adding additional inputs for aerospace engineering, metallurgical engineering, civil engineering, electrical engineering, petroleum engineering, manufacturing engineering, chemical engineering, and other engineering disciplines to varying amounts.
Mechanical engineers may also work in the field of Biomedical engineering, specifically with biomechanics, transport phenomena, mechatronics, nanotechnology and modeling of biological systems, like soft tissue mechanics.
A versatile and most-sought-after branch, manned by highly qualified and experienced (Academic and Industrial) faculty members with adequate infrastructure and lab facilities.
A very warm welcome to the website of the Department of Mechanical Engineering ITM GROUP of Institution, Gwalior. The discipline of mechanical engineering has a long and distinguished history of innovative invention and technological breakthroughs that have tremendously benefitted the progress of man and society We have a team of dedicated and experienced faculty with research bent of mind and well developed laboratories, driving the department towards excellence in teaching as well as R & D activities. The department has excellent Industry-Institute interaction and organizes periodic Industrial visits and industrial expert lecture series to provide an opportunity for the students to interact with working professionals from industries. The departmental Societies, SAE-India provide a platform to students, innovation and opportunities to solve real world engineering and societal problems.
We always believe in dynamic personality, leadership quality, creative thinking of the students to enhance the quality of personal life and the society as a whole.
Wish you all the best...
It provides an ambience where education doesn’t really feel like hard work but fun, an opportunity for the best learning you’ve ever had!
The Department has a fully equipped academic infrastructure with round the clock power backup. Besides the classrooms, tutorial rooms, faculty cabins, seminar hall, , we have well equipped labs and workshops, where you can not only carry out practical training, but also indulge in extensive research. The spacious hi-tech classrooms are equipped with state-of-the-art multi-media teaching aids. A computer centre, with high-end computers and a Virtual Lab has been established. Some image of our department lab are as follow
learning process and methodology
The methodology is adopted to ensure proper learning which includes Lectures, Tutorials and Practical where tutorial and practical is in groups of 30 each. Every classroom is equipped with LCD projector.
Internal Assessment is based on:
- Mid Semester Tests (MSTs)
- Discipline & General behaviors of students
Institutional/Industrial Trainings (6 weeks)
- The students undergo a 4 weeks practical training in the Institute at the end of six semester and another value added training of 6 weeks duration in the institute/industry at the end of 4th semester.
- Students submit a report on the conduct of training and also give a seminar/presentation in the class
- Evaluation of training is done on the basis of performance & conduct during the training, training report, presentation and viva voce besides the value addition in students to increase their professional competence
Industrial Training ( 4 months)
- The students spend their entire semester (7th/8th) in an industry of relevance for their 4 months industrial training.
- o The student is permitted to join the training only if it is approved by the department.
- During the course of the training, faculty visits the industry to monitor the performance and conduct of the students working as trainees.
- Students submit a report on the conduct of training and also give a seminar/presentation in the class.
- Training awards are based on performance in training, feedback report of the faculty, training manager, training report, mid semester report, daily diary, viva voce conducted by external examiner besides the value addition in students to increase their professional competence.
- All the final year students are required to undergo a major project in their final academic semester.
- Both the project works are held under the supervision of senior faculty members
- The project may be sponsored or facilitated by the industry.
Interaction with the Industry
We believe that engineering education is incomplete without the support and collaboration of the industry. For this purpose, the department has developed strong linkages with the industry and renowned academic institutions. The interfacing with the industry helps the students in the following areas:
- Industrial visits- wherein the students get an opportunity to see the real application of engineering
- Expert lectures- The experts from various fields share their expertise and knowledge with the faculty and the students
- Workshops on specific technologies- The students get a hand on experience in these workshops
- Conferences & Symposiums- The students get an opportunity to explore their research potential
- Institutional & Industrial Training- Interfacing with the industry opens up multidimensional avenues for the students
- Value added Trainings: In-house value added trainings in niche areas like C/C++, JAVA, and Networking etc. are offered to students for developing their competence in specific areas that also gives them a competitive edge over others.
- Placements- The department supports and coordinates with the Centralized Training & Placement Cell of ITM group for all placement related activities viz. interview preparation, inviting the companies for the placement drives and conduct of the same.
For all the aforesaid purposes, students are actively involved. The students have been identified as student coordinators who are working together in order to meet these objectives. Besides, these activities also inculcates managerial & leadership qualities in the students. The student coordinators are well guided and supported by two faculty members of the department who have been identified as industrial coordinators.
Personality Development & Grooming of the students
The department emphasizes on personality development & grooming of the students in order to develop professional capabilities of the students. Regular Personality development programs are organized in the department in collaboration with professional organizations. Besides, motivational lectures, Group Discussions, Mock interview sessions etc. are also organized on a regular basis. The students also get an opportunity to improve their communication skills in the language lab of the institute.
One faculty member has been identified as the class incharge for every class. His/her role is to guide the students for:
- Academic excellence
- Personality Development
- Positive attitude
- Good behavior
- Proper Dress & Uniform
- Etiquettes & Manners
- Motivation to students to actively participate in extra-curricular activities viz. sports, cultural activities etc.
- To refrain the students not to indulge in ragging & other social evils
Academic Activity (Industrial Training)
Mechanical Engg. Department organized 5 days training program at Magnum steels, Banmore, Gwalior for 2nd year students
Indo German Tool Room Indore Visit
Mechanical Engg. Department organized one day industrial visit in National Thermal Power Plant Pariccha Jhansi
Mechanical Engg. Department organized 5 day training program on ‘’CNC Machine”for 6th semester students.
Mechanical Engg. Department organized one weak training program on “Metal Cutting & Machine tools” for 4th semester students
2-Students of 4th sem won the secured all india 5th rank in Hoverush, Techkriti the annual Technical and Entrepreneurial Festival of IIT Kanpur.