The Department of Chemical Engineering was commenced in the year 1997 with 30 undergraduate students in the B. Tech. Chemical Engineering programme and has been doing its best to bring about excellence in academics achieved in the last 18 years. The current sanctioned strength of the B.Tech. Chemical Engineering Program is 60. The department is funded through AICTE, under the scheme of MODROBS for modernization of the labs. The Department aims to provide students with a balance of intellectual and practical expertise that enables them to serve the worldwide chemical industry as well as the societal needs. The programme offered by the department is accredited by NBA and has educational objectives that are consistent with the vision and mission of the Department
The course is designed to provide the basic understanding of the materials of human needs and of products like fuels, cement, industrial chemicals, fertilizers, petrochemicals, pharmaceuticals products, cosmetics, paints, adhesives, insecticides, pesticides and various other consumer goods. Also it is designed to follow the advances in chemical engineering and is aimed to provide in depth education in the different aspects of chemical process control, process modeling and simulation optimization techniques, process equipment design and development. The course further enhances the quality of the engineering as the curriculum covers advance studies in almost all the areas of focus in chemical engineering, it also assists the upcoming engineers in applying the fundamental principles to either solve a quality problem or formulate recommendations after an in-depth investigation.
In this course students are required to prove that they understand a particular problem in the industry in which they have done research, are able to analyze and set it out logically, are able to arrive at logical conclusions or diagnosis, and are able to make proposals for the improvement or the elimination of the problem.
The programme goals and objectives are achieved under the guidance of a vibrant and highly qualified faculty.
Course Information No. of seats – 60
Duration - 4 years (8 Semester)
The foremost mission of the Chemical Engineering department at ITM, Gwalior is to provide the best education to the young minds in our country. The academic program is designed to offer a wide range courses that span from fundamental sciences to complex mathematical relationships and engineering design aspects of chemical and biological process technology. The students are rigorously trained and evaluated on a continuous basis so that they are well prepared to be leaders in whichever field they choose to pursue may it be academia, industry, technology management, entrepreneurship or working for a social cause.
We believe it is essential to perform fundamental research alongside applied studies that cater to the broader economic, societal and environmental development and growth of the country. This is achieved by hiring the best faculty across the globe and laying emphasis on problem solving through interdisciplinary research that crosses barriers across chemistry, physics, biology and materials science.
Our goal at chemical engineering department is to improve the healthy learning environment and facilities being provided to the students to achieve academic excellence for employability as world class Technocrats and Managers, apart from making them noble human beings of a nation growing from strength to strength, dispelling the darkness of ignorance.
Chemical Engineering Department has its own departmental library with approx. 500 books of different authors & publishers for undergraduate students. Students utilize these reference books for enhancing their knowledge to get success in different competitive examination for their employment purpose in the chemical engineering field.
Well Equipped Laboratories
The departmental has well equipped labs of Fluid Particle Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, fuel Technology, Mass Transfer, Heat Transfer, Chemical Reaction Engineering, Chemical Process Control, Material & Energy Balance, Environmental Engineering and Exclusive Bio- Process Technology Lab & Computer lab. The department facilitates the student to fabricate their project at the college level. The department is funded through AICTE, under the scheme of MODROBS for modernization of the labs.
learning process and methodology
The methodology is adopted to ensure proper learning which includes Lectures, Tutorials, Assignments and Practical. Every classroom is equipped with LCD projector. A module coordinator / Mentor are appointed for each semester to evaluate the individual performance of each student
Internal Assessment is based on:
- Mid Semester Tests (MSTs)
- Discipline & General behaviors of students
Institutional/Industrial Trainings (6 weeks)
- The students undergo a 4 weeks practical training in the Institute at the end of six semester and another value added training of 6 weeks duration in the institute/industry at the end of 4th semester.
- Students submit a report on the conduct of training and also give a seminar/presentation in the class
- Evaluation of training is done on the basis of performance & conduct during the training, training report, presentation and viva voce besides the value addition in students to increase their professional competence
Industrial Training ( 4 months)
- The students spend their entire semester (7th/8th) in an industry of relevance for their 4 months industrial training.
- o The student is permitted to join the training only if it is approved by the department.
- During the course of the training, faculty visits the industry to monitor the performance and conduct of the students working as trainees.
- Students submit a report on the conduct of training and also give a seminar/presentation in the class.
- Training awards are based on performance in training, feedback report of the faculty, training manager, training report, mid semester report, daily diary, viva voce conducted by external examiner besides the value addition in students to increase their professional competence.
- All the final year students are required to undergo a major project in their final academic semester.
- Both the project works are held under the supervision of senior faculty members
- The project may be sponsored or facilitated by the industry.
Interaction with the Industry
We believe that engineering education is incomplete without the support and collaboration of the industry. For this purpose, the department has developed strong linkages with the industry and renowned academic institutions. The interfacing with the industry helps the students in the following areas:
- Industrial visits- wherein the students get an opportunity to see the real application of engineering
- Expert lectures- The experts from various fields share their expertise and knowledge with the faculty and the students
- Workshops on specific technologies- The students get a hand on experience in these workshops
- Conferences & Symposiums- The students get an opportunity to explore their research potential
- Institutional & Industrial Training- Interfacing with the industry opens up multidimensional avenues for the students
- Value added Trainings: In-house value added trainings in niche areas like C/C++, JAVA, and Networking etc. are offered to students for developing their competence in specific areas that also gives them a competitive edge over others.
- Placements- The department supports and coordinates with the Centralized Training & Placement Cell of CT group for all placement related activities viz. interview preparation, inviting the companies for the placement drives and conduct of the same.
For all the aforesaid purposes, students are actively involved. The students have been identified as student coordinators who are working together in order to meet these objectives. Besides, these activities also inculcates managerial & leadership qualities in the students. The student coordinators are well guided and supported by two faculty members of the department who have been identified as industrial coordinators.
Personality Development & Grooming of the students
The department emphasizes on personality development & grooming of the students in order to develop professional capabilities of the students. Regular Personality development programs are organized in the department in collaboration with professional organizations. Besides, motivational lectures, Group Discussions, Mock interview sessions etc. are also organized on a regular basis. The students also get an opportunity to improve their communication skills in the language lab of the institute.
One faculty member has been identified as the class incharge for every class. His/her role is to guide the students for:
- Academic excellence
- Personality Development
- Positive attitude
- Good behavior
- Proper Dress & Uniform
- Etiquettes & Manners
- Motivation to students to actively participate in extra-curricular activities viz. sports, cultural activities etc.
- To refrain the students not to indulge in ragging & other social evils
Events & Seminars/Conf./Workshop
Department of Chemical Engineering organizes different activities every year, which are fruitful for the student to boost up their knowledge in all aspects of chemical engineering like workshop on “Polymer & Plastic Manufacturing”. (16th, 17th November 2010) .Recently Chemical Engineering Deptt. organized an AICTE sponsored Faculty Development Programme on Transport Phenomena, (12th - 17th July, 2010) one of important subjects in Chemical Engg. During this FDP various experts from different colleges, universities & industries shared their views. This event was beneficial in two ways, first it enhanced the knowledge of faculty members, secondly they got an opportunity to interact with experts under one roof. Under the scheme of academic upgradation presently a faculty member has been sponsored at IIT Delhi for Ph.D. program. In addition the faculty is engaged in carrying out various sponsored projects.